Sunday, February 26, 2012

Discrimination Diversification

I had an interesting discussion with some friends the other day on the topic of racial discrimination, and how it affects social opportunities. My black friends at times seemed to be saying that no matter how hard it got in the economy, I as a white guy would never really understand desperation or hopelessness. When the economy improved, I would go right back to assymetric vocational access, something that blacks systematically are prevented from. When the economy improves, blacks are still black, and therefore their situation remains essentially the same.

My response was on several levels: that if I was so priveleged, why was I working here, so far from home? why had I been rejected on my last 10 applications to Korea - not even gaining a response form thank you letter? why had I enjoyed much-less-than-poverty-level wages for the last three years, which depleted my reserves substantially? why I lost money on real estate deals for the past 3 years, basically losing my retirement funds? and, why was I continuously impressed with the notion that the field of education was increasingly dominated by women at every level and position, effectively marginalizing my chances?

Even further back, why was I so poor just before I came to Korea, having to go to the food bank and driving a car that literally had a hole in the gas tank? why I was working 100-hour weeks and clearing 500 dollars, at times taking my life in my hands to just get by? And even further, why both my parents came from Europe after the war, after suffering deprivation of the war fought in their front yards, and the great depression before that? Does that sound like a life a privilege, that I was born with a silver spoon in my life?

I agreed that I could never really understand life as a black man in America. I have never lived in America for one, and I do not have a black heritage either. However, my wife is Korean, and my son is Korean-Canadian; vicariously, I have suffered through various social indignities and assaults with them: intrusive and incompetent immigration procedures, social shunning, in Korea pushing and shoving on the street, in Australia spitting, in Canada taunts, epithets and ignorant comments especially at my son. And of course the day-to-day slights that come with the life of being an expat in Korea, Japan, and Saudi Arabia for 15 years.

I have suffered from discriminatory treatment too. I have lost money and been prevented from jobs I would have liked and would have been qualified for. I understand what discrimination is like. And I am not of the opinion that I am better, or more privileged, in any way, than the black citizenry of Canada.
In fact, I see this reaction, of viewing whites through what is essentially a stereotyped prism generated by longstanding attitudes of victimization, as unfair. I am not the token white.

It is like someone with a longterm terminal illness, who struggles with pain every day. This person sees someone who breakes his leg, but does not respond with compassion. Instead, he says, "what's wrong with you?! what are you whining for? that does not really hurt - you don't know pain like I do! In a month, you will be walking around again. Me? I might not even be here in a month!" I feel sorry for the person who has the illness. But why does that negate the pain of a broken leg? Why does that not arouse compassion, but derision? And why respond with anger? Did the person with the broken leg give you that illness? If not, then why not face the end of life with gratitude, compassion, and hope? Isn't that a better way?

We all suffer from discrimination: white, blacks, non-royal Saudis, non-Saudi Muslims, Christians, women, men, children. Discrimination has no face. It is as diverse as all of us. And I would wish that our common suffering would bind us together, because that makes us all stronger.

2 comments:

  1. Great points. The racism here is atrocious, I'll agree with that 100%. I have a friend who's wife is American by birth, Indian by heritage and other women here try and push her around until she whips out the perfect English and blue passport mentality. I see horrible levels of it here, both overt and covert. What I think is strange though is how its tolerated at all levels of society here. Even if a bank employee refuses to let a Saudi man push in front of a line of Filipino or Indian expats, its still conveyed in the behavior of both men that "sorry, new rules, I know you deserve to go in front, but I can't let you". Gives me a window into a long forgotten time in America though, helps me understand separate but equal, Jim Crow laws and everything my countries gone though to get to where we are now...Can you imagine the problems a royal decree would cause if it said: All nationalities are equal as human beings, and no race or races is superior to another? This place would burn! Again, nice points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff. It was a heated discussion, let's put it that way. I had read in the Economist some months ago that the spring weather around us was caused by inflationary pressures. That is, it was not even socio-political in origin. The factor was a hit in a place where people felt it most keenly: in their pocketbooks. As long as prices and wages remain stable, the population will be quiescent. And there are substantial reserves available to pacify the public. As a result, I do not see, any time soon anyway, the potential for unrest. The people are full, and sleepy. Hunger is what sharpens the senses.

      Delete