Friday, December 23, 2011

foodie frenzy

Our campus has the best selection of food outlets of any institution I have worked in. There is Syrian, Indian, Turkish, French, American menus available. Probably going to go for the indian options mostly.

our group lives on the same floor, and we have decided to cook meals as a group. One fellow cooks one night, another the next day, etc etc. Since we are short on cooking utensils (pots/pans, knives, plates, etc), and can share staples (rice, spices, milk, coffee), this helps cut down on costs and time expenditures.

One of us has bought a coffee maker, and we all make our way over in the morning to a freshly-brewed cuppa. Nice way to start the day!

2 comments:

  1. Can you post about the agency you went through and the process? What recruiting company and placement company in SKA did you go through and was everything legitimate? I was given an offer today and am thinking long and hard about this move from South Korea to SKA. I sincerely want to work in the Middle East, however, I want to be sure it will be more of a postiive experience than negative.
    Nice blog. Keep it up. The pictures are beautiful and the commentary well thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lilith. Sorry for taking so long to respond - I just noticed your comment here. I have purposely left out information regarding my identity and what agency I work with, because sometimes my honesty might be too brutal.

    You really need to do your homework before coming here. Saudi culture, overlaid by Islam, is not easy to adapt to, especially for women. I received a legitimate offer, and the conditions are generally what I expected. There are disappointments though, and to make things livable, you need two things: patience, a lowering of your expectations, and networks. Be clear about why you came here; keeping that your focus, can give you the strength to carry on.

    Having a network is important too, because its very easy to become isolated here. The people that are isolated I have seen spiral into despondency, and do not survive the contract (they leave).

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete