Friday, January 13, 2012

Extras from Exercise

I came to Saudi Arabia not having had regualr exercise for about 3 years. For the past 10 years, actually, I have not taken enough concern with regard to weight and exercise schedule.

Coming here, I have found that the schedule has a lot of down-time, and with limited options for entertainment, exercise becomes even more attractive. Here are some of the good things about exercise where I am.

1. Free - the gym here has no free weights, but does have a treadmills, rowing machines, situp benches, walking machine, and stationary bikes. That is enough for me. I usually go about 2 km on the rower, about 25 min on the treadmill (hoping to get up to about 5km in 30+ min), and then double reps on the situp/leglift benches, then stretching upper and lower.

2. Better sleep - finding that exercise is probably helping to create a physical fatigue that enhances sleeping.

3. Reduces stress - connected to the above, the stress of sitting around, as well as taking my mind of off the hassles associated with everyday life, helps to improve my morale; this will have an effect on my sleeping patterns too.

4. Increases energy levels - finding that I do not sleep or feel sleepy by mid-afternoon (3pmish) as I used to; this may have to do with jet lag (which was bad), but I have more concentration ability too, I find. As well, in the previous blog entry, I am hoping to regularly participate in the weekly HASH events (running/hiking).

5. Create social connections - exercising with others helps to form common ground interests; hiking gives chances to chat and "do things" together, kind of bonding event

6. Lose weight / gain muscle tone - both of these contribute to body image esteem; would like to lose 40 to 50 pounds this year, but at the least, I would like to get rid of the spare tire, and fit my clothes more comfortably

No comments:

Post a Comment