Friday, January 13, 2012

Hash dash

Yesterday I went on the HASH again. This time, it was about 8~10 degrees warmer (34C compared to 25C last year), and much longer. I went on the running trail, which only had about 8 participants out of 120. After about halfway, I dropped out, and joined the "extra-long walking" group. The runners were going to loop around for more mileage and then join the back end of the walkers, at which point I would rejoin them. They ended up taking a shorter route, so I did not regain line of sight with them until near the end. I tried to get back to them, but they were high up on the plateau of an escarpment and I could not reach them. So, I spied a person I knew and decided to keep going with the walkers, with a good conversation until reaching the end.

On the way, people were finding a lot of shells (smaller than last week, more "mussel" like in shape than the conch style we found last week). As well, I found a piece of petrified wood, which I took with me to give to Adam, as we both enjoy items of geological interest.

Petrified tree, similar to what I found

 The piece I found was found in similar, sandy like conditions. However, the striations are much more pronounced in the piece I found than the one in this picture, and its matrices are crystalline, rather than the oxidized material of the rock in this picture.

Our leader/driver went all out to buy BBQ food before going; we only ate about half of what he brought. We could really have used a grill rack too, because our chicken pieces were numerous, sparked up a flame that made turning difficult, and used up too much space. Having about 3 or 4 of these would have been perfect. As well, a couple more folding chairs, and a serving tray to hold the hot meat would have been good too.

The grill rack we needed

No comments:

Post a Comment